Taking Yoga, Pilates and teaching Sculpt class I have learned that how you breathe makes all the difference in a workout. In med school we discuss the effects of oxygen being necessary for the functioning of the body. How hemaglobin, the protein in red blood cells actually is gathered in great numbers in the lungs waiting to snag four molecules of oxygen and send it out through your body going only by the rhythm of your heart beat pushing the blood. It is quite an amazing process when you think about it as a whole but in class, somehow the professors can either put you to sleep or make it sound confusing so you have to read it again and again to get the greater picture. So, this is why when you work out you breathe hard. Your heart is trying to pump more blood to gather more oxygen and send it mainly to your muscles but also to your brain so it can continue to function, your glands so that you can produce sweat to cool the body down, and other parts of the body. Ok, Biology class is over.
Somehow, I forgot that so reading an articles late last night on fitsugar.com about breathing while running made me go, "OHHHHHHHH, that is right." During the winter months, I would do everything in my power to run with my mouth closed down to tucking my lips in so I would not be tempted to breath in that cold, dry winter air. I try it now in the summer and I wear out so much more quickly. My stride has improved simply by breathing air in through my nose and exhaling through my mouth. To add more space to those lungs, I actually "slap hands" with the leaves in the trees and the bushes. Reaching up rings out some of the air that is just hanging around in my lungs and leaves it open for some good fresh air that my body needs while going the distance. So, if you see me at a race and I am throwing up a fist or a peace sign or I am reaching to slap my hand, go with it. Most likely I am winded and need some fresh air.
Want more (non-physiology answers) info and to see the actual article? Here it is. . .
http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Breathe-When-Running-19967835
Happy Breathing!
No comments:
Post a Comment